Wednesday, October 7, 2009

OUR NEW BLOG! Play along, all of you!

So Jessica had a great idea and I think we could really get into it! We can use this blog to stay in touch and share our love for one another! And use it for some fitness inspiration perhaps???

It started this morning when I left the doctor's office and I texted Katie and Jess about the news I found out..... So.... I've gained 20 pounds this year. Yes, 20. 20. Twenty. Ten plus ten pounds. I'm at work right now, looking around my office for something that might weigh 20 pounds so I can pick it up, walk around with it, and see what it feels like. (I just heard this news about an hour ago, so I'm feeling pretty dramatic about this)

So everytime you go to the doctor you're weighed and roll your eyes and make a joke with the nurse about how unpleasant it is to be weighed blah blah blah, but little do you know if you go to that doctor for years (like I have at the Student Health Center) they keep track of those numbers, put them all on one piece of paper next to the dates (of course you know this but I'm painting a picture) and you can see in one shot, what you weighed then compared to now.....

So I've stayed in the low 150's for most of my college life. 150 is a big number, but I'm tall and not built to be super skinny, and 150 is a healthy weight for me. Ask me how much I weight now? Guess. 172. Yes, 172. I was at the doctor because I wanted to get off the NuvaRing, which I believed (and now is confirmed) that its made me gain weight. I knew I'd gained weight, but not so much and so fast. And I haven't changed my eating/lifestyle since I got on Nuvi...I'm back on a pill I was taking back in the day, when I was about 150, so we will see what happens. I've also had this personal trainer for about a month and a half. And I know I haven't seen as much change in my body (actually any change at all to be honest) as I would have had I gotten this trainer back before I was the Nuvi. (Which sucks because besides gaining weight I loved the Nuvi) SO on a side note, my doc suggested I research getting an IUD, which is that little wishbone piece of plastic they insert in your ovaries or seomthing that keeps you safe for 5 years WITHOUT any hormones, which is what makes you gain weight with other BC methods. So I'm looking into it...

Anyway! So in my panicking texts to Jess and Katie, Jess had a great idea that we should all use eachother, inspire eachother, reward eachother and so on for setting fitness goals, and meeting them. The best / easiest way to do this is with a blog, like this! We are all in different places physically, like with our physical fitness goals / feelings about ourselves. So whether or not losing weight is something you think about alot, we can all benefit from at least talking about it, sharing ideas, etc.

Also, last semester I started a blog for us (not related to fitness) for us to stay intouch, share stories about our days, etc. But I never actually invited y'all because I didn't think anybody would get into it. (We use this blogger site for the labs I teach, which is when I thought we could use this thing...)

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS! thank you yvonne for getting this up and running! you little quick jump starter you! Ive had this idea for awhile now and im so glad I shared it with you evie. seeeee!! girls!!???? i have trouble with getting things like this started and now with YVONNE's support.... taa daaaa! here it is! great teamwork already!

    Im most excited about this site because I dont like to share very personal things on fb, especially my self conscious issues. I hope this will help us grow closer and create that support we all need and want to give to each other easier. LOVE YOU ALL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!!! I'm struggling big time with my weight as well. I went to the doctors this summer and I weighed in at 155! I think this is the highest I've ever been. My goal weight is 135 and I need to start doing something now. Maybe writing about it and getting more woman support will help motivate me. I want to feel good about myself image again and I need help doing it. I'm still getting used to my grown up body and still trying to come to terms that I won't have the body I did in high school.
    There is a new fitness place opening up in Hutto with personal training so maybe I'll look into that.

    Love you girls and this is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to jump on the "Let's bitch about weight" bandwagon because it's funny you should mention that. I stepped on a scale at someone's house three days ago and insisted that it was broken because I weigh 145. I too have gained 15 or 20 pounds, unfortunately the scale was accurate. There is a gym around the corner called Planet Fitness that Lauren and I have looked into because there is no contract and it's just $10 a month. So maybe I'll google it and see where others are if anyone might be interested.
    Speaking of how I'm a fattie now, I can't tell you how excited I am about Thanksgiving!!!!!! Yes for the food, but mostly for your pretty faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Brit that was beautiful! And love you lil! Okay so first things first.. We gotta start moving.. I'm bringing my running shoes with me to wk and stopping at gym before I get home. So my goal is to run 2 miles tomorrow and come home and do some yoga streches. I'll let you know how it goes. Throw a pumpkin at me if I don't. Speaking of which!!!... :( Halloween is in 2 wks and 5 days. Yikes. Yep, I really gotta do it.. You all should too!

    We should also take the time to think about some kind of contest we can have like biggest loser style. Except there won't be any voting or awesome personal trainers. But there will be a handsome prize. maybe a massage and mani/pedi?? That's gonna be one lucky skinny bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies, I was a little hesitant at first on the "blogging" idea bc I don't consider myself to interesting in what I have to say. All that said, I think that this is a great way to keep up bc I agree w/ Jess that sometimes fb is too impersonal for certain topics. It is always said that you are your worst critic. & I think that holds true for all of us. I too am dealing w/ being unhappy w/ my bod, I just haven't found the motivation to change it yet, so I'm hoping this will help. I do want to say though that I hope everyone of you realize that you are b-e-a-u-tiful ladies! It is a sad day to step on the scale, but understanding that you aren't the only one struggling w/ these issues is a good feeling. & I guess since everyone else is saying it, I believe I'm weighing in at a solid 160 these days. Ugh... I should tape that number on my fridge & that should be motivation enough! I love you all & can't wait to reunite soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well ladies, I have finally joined this blogging madness. I will be honest. I probably will not be the best blogger, but I promise I will do my best.

    I just joined Planet Fitness last week. I joined online which may have been a mistake. I have only been once and it was to use my unlimited tanning. But for $20 bucks a month I can have a personal trainer, unlimited tanning and I can bring a guest anytime I want to!! So if anyone wants to join me after work either up North or off of Slaughter, just let me know! Working out in pairs is always more fun!!

    I on the other hand have lost 17 lbs since I graduated. I am 8 lbs lighter than what I was in high school. However, the weight I have lost may not be exactly healthy. I haven't worked out consistently in about a year and definitely do not eat right. I have been feeling sluggish and weak. I still work at Salt Lick everyone once in a while for some extra cash and when I carry the food trays, I feel like I am going to drop them on my head or spill them all over a customer. I have always been a little chunkier, so now that I have lost some weight, I need to get what I have looking good and not all flabby.

    I think a reward after a certain time frame that Jess suggested sounds like a good idea. Everyone that wants to do it has to commit. I wish there was a way to upload a calendar on here, so we could each update it showing the day you worked out and for how long. I know when I see that someone else has worked out, it encourages me to work out. Let's set up a start and finish date!!

    ReplyDelete